Friday, April 23, 2010

Monetary Conundrum for the Week

Ever since I figured out that money was something deeper than the paper dollars Mrs. Moran paid me to mow her lawn back in Jr. High, I've thought that our central banking "logical money" system was pretty weird, even if it does sort of work.  Now some people are playing with quantum money schemes.


My first thoughts were "Oh great.  Now I won't know if I'm broke until I actually look in my wallet.  Uh, bartender, I'll catch that tab next week."  Or maybe pickpockets in the future would do their work by rubbing empty wallets against targets' back pockets or purses and letting the cash tunnel through.  Or something strange like that.


No, nothing so cool.  It's just mathemagicians playing around with quantum encryption schemes for the secure transfer of digital cash.  Still, pretty damn cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment