Thursday, November 3, 2011

Schlitz is back?

So there I was in the local beer-snob store mulling over the various local and regional microbrews, when whatinthehell, there's a six of Schlitz (nb: must be spelled in italics) on the shelf in the midst of things...?  Sporting a fancy price and a promise that they're using the "Classic 1960s Formula"?
Well I always liked the taste, even during their swill era.  (Go figure, no accounting for these things.)  At $2.15 a six of 16's, the price was right for a grad student back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.  It's just that the crap they were putting in there would rip your skull right off the next morning if you had more than one.
As it turns out, this resurrected Schlitz pretty good.  Tastes like beer.  Beer-beer, with hops and no subtle overtones and definitely no fruity flavors.  Over the years, not only had Schlitz lost their quality, they'd also lost the original formula, so the whole thing had to be reverse-engineered.  I've got to say, they did a credible job, tastes just like it did back in junior high.  But now I can also say, I felt just fine when I woke this morning.
Testing continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment