Saturday, September 30, 2017

Radio Free St. Vincent


Well no, not exactly a major radio station, more of an event.  The folks at the Panama City Amateur Radio Club boated across Indian Pass this morning to set up and make contacts from the western tip of St. Vincent Island as part of the US Islands and the Parks on the Air programs.  And I would never have known, except that they were coordinating among themselves using the Port St. Joe 2 meter repeater, there happened to be a tropo-duct along the northern Gulf, and I happened to be scanning around from my shack here in MS.  That was all pure luck.

Anyway, within a couple of minutes of hearing about the event I'd bagged a good clear contact on 40 meters using my backyard NVIS antenna.  It was nice to finally talk to somebody in my neck of the woods on HF, and to do it so easily.  This stuff really works!

Funny thing, the picture on my QSL card was taken only about a mile from where they were operating.  Small world.

In the event you're reading this in the distant future, here's a permalink to the St. Vincent activation post.



No comments:

Post a Comment