Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Silca Pumps Continued


Reading through the Silca site, I see that they've re-introduced the classic aluminum body Impero frame pump.  I used to have the cheaper plastic-bodied one (all I could afford in grad school), and even that was a monster at pumping tires.  Today's price of $165 is getting up there, but not crazily-so.  Still, I'll be sticking with CO2 inflators for the foreseeable future, mostly because they store better inside bags and out of the off-road spray of gunk.

By the way, the Impero pump has an interesting history behind it.  The first recorded use came in 52 BC when Julius Caesar aired up his tires using a prototype and won that year's Tour de Gaul in a crushing final sprint over Vercingetorix, to not only seize the Yellow Jersey but to also consolidate the Empire.  Hence the name.

Well, that's what I heard.  Anyway, these Silca Imperos are damned fine pumps and I used one for nearly ten years, finally selling it with the bike.  Would've kept it, but it wouldn't fit on my slightly smaller frame sized fat-tubed Cannonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment