Wednesday, May 13, 2020

How "Lord of the Flies" Went IRL


Better than you might expect.  Article at The Guardian: The real Lord of the Flies: what happened when six boys were shipwrecked for 15 months  Read it, and think a little better of humanity.  From the last paragraph:
It's time we told a different kind of story.  The real Lord of the Flies is a tale of friendship and loyalty; one that illustrates how much stronger we are if we can lean on each other.
It's good to have something a little uplifting right now.

BTW and on a personal note, I've never read LotF, even though I've always heard about it.  I'm guessing that I fell into that burned-over era where the book had been in vogue fifteen years before I was reading and had since fallen onto the has-been shelf.  Or maybe after some of the excesses of the Sixties, it was a warning that people felt had come and gone.

Anyway, go and read.  You'll feel better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment