Friday, May 19, 2023

Anthem Measurements


I've kept a notebook of bike measurements over the past 25 or so years.  Setups are qualitative – "does this  bike feel right," "does this bike carve correctly,"  and (most importantly) "do I feel like I'm about to go flying over the handlebars with this setup?"  Generally, I'll set up a new bike in the ballpark and then take along a wrench for the first few rides, tweaking as I go.

Some bikes just never settle down.  A few stem-swaps later, it's rideable and even a pleasure to use, but there's always a little edge of not-quite-right there.  Such was the case for the Y-22 (shown), that pitched me over into a nine-stitch faceplant.  Even so, check out all that acreage of candy-apple red carbon fiber.  What a looker.

Other bikes are simply right from the start, such as the STP-200 (link).  I wasn't even looking at bikes that day, I was out car shopping when I stopped off at the Wheel House to take a break, have a coke, and talk with friends.  "Hey, you need to test ride this one."  "Nah, finally got the Y-bike tuned down, I'm good."  "No, really, test ride this one."  That STP was my primary bike for 13 years, and I kept and occasionally rode it for 8 more.  I rode that thing until I'd worn out and replaced every single part on the frame except for the cranks and the rear shock.

The Anthem has tuned-in similarly.  No struggle, no parts swaps, no real issues.  The thing just fits.  After cleaning the chain this afternoon, I taped out the key measurements – primarily butt to bottom bracket length and butt to handlebar reach – and they were spot-on the STP.  Well, a little more leg length because of the dropper post, which gives a little tune-on-the-trail adjustment.  I still need to get up to Tom Brown Park in Tallahassee.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment