Monday, December 27, 2010

Finished the Heinlein bio.

Finished the bio, last Thursday, that I'd written about last week.  If you're a Heinlein fan, the kind of reader who breezed through the more or less unpublishable For Us, The Living while on a page-by-page basis identifying the short stories he'd later strip mined from it, it's pretty much a must-read.  If you're a biography-hog (go figure, it takes all kinds), it's probably and OK page-turner.  If you just want a thumbnail sketch of the guy though, the wikipedia bio is probably plenty.
So how did I like it?  (Being the kind who pulled out old Heinlein paperbacks to co-read with the bio.  Like I said, it takes all kinds.)  Good, maybe a tad dry.  But I can really, really see where the guy was coming from now.  I think the author did the best he could with the limited remaining records and with the limited remaining Heinlein associates/friends/etc.  And, all things considered, he seems to have given a pretty even-handed treatment of the ex-Mrs.-Heinlein (there's a nice note on these difficulties in the footnote appendix).  I'm glad to have bought it in hardcover, and I eagerly await the next volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment