Friday, June 28, 2013

Tonight's Guest: The Spiders From Mars!

Those of you who know me also know that I am given to bouts of insomnia.  One easy cure is to simply ride it out while listening to a certain late night radio show that features all kinds of odd topics.  Generally I can drift off within a hour or so, the show is usually at least entertaining, and occasionally I even learn something.

So I was recently asked why I bother pulling in the show over nighttime skywave AM from 550 miles away when there's a perfectly good, clear FM station broadcasting it from about 40 miles' range.  The only real answer I could come up with was that it's just more fun with all the ionospheric ripple in the sound, which I explained with a quote from an old David Bowie song, "the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar."

Coincidentally, the next line is "you're blessed, we're the Spiders from Mars."  Which, if you manage to mis-hear sounds a lot like "Tonights guest, it's the Spiders from Mars."  Honestly, it's not all that far from that show's usual fare.


Why singular "guest"?  Dunno.  Maybe the Spiders from Mars have some kind of hive mind thing going.  Just guessing, really can't help beyond that.

No comments:

Post a Comment