Monday, May 12, 2014

Antique Shop Find

So I was in Apalach a couple of weeks ago, looking around an antique shop while waiting on someone, when I stumbled onto a framed page out of Life magazine featuring one of the post-WW2 White Sands V-2 launches:

Hmmm.  Had to get it.  Then, after getting home I had to pop it out of its frame to straighten it up, only to find two launch pictures on the back:
Well that was pretty cool.  Can't show off both sides at once, but I can take a picture of the page and look at that anytime I wish.  But there was one more thing.  The paint scheme looked familiar.  Many of the White Sands launches had a unique paint scheme, some with roll patterns, some with wild stripes, etc.  But this one looked strangely familiar.  Here we go:
Shot #3, May 10, 1946.  The magazine page is dated May 27th.  I built a model of it circa 1995.  As you can see from the dings on the fins and the black powder stains, this model has had a few flights of its own.

Small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment