Let's look at the checklist for a pure summer fun flick:
- Builds on a well-known franchise. Check.
- Enough plot to string it all together. Check.
- But not so much plot as to weight things down. Check.
- Likable characters, who rise to the occasion when pressed. Check.
- The bad guys get devoured, while the good guys mostly make it home. Check.
- Comfortable as an old favorite pair of blue jeans. Check.
- While bringing new thrills to the show. Double Check.
Well there you have it. This movie was genetically engineered to be the ultimate summer popcorn monster-muncher, and its creators have succeeded. Pop for the 3-D version, if it's available locally, it's that kind of movie.
Three out of Four Stars.