Thursday, May 2, 2013

Movie Review: Oblivion

This is a NO SPOILER REVIEW.  Read on in safety.  

Look, I'm a pretty jaundiced old hard science fiction fan, with no love whatsoever for overproduced spectacles trying to hide the fact that there isn't a coherent story within.  (Exhibits 1, 2, 3a, & 3b).  But this is a pretty damned good movie.

It actually has a story, to which was added top-notch Hollywood production and acting.  Since seeing it this evening, I've read through several lists of plot holes, and at most only one hole holds up.  (There is considerable hatred for this movie brewing out there, BTW, and I'm not entirely sure why.)  I'm going to see it again to (a) sort out that possible hole, and (b) enjoy the spectacle on the big screen again.  One more thing: long time science fiction movie buffs will recognize several plot elements from various classic movies.  Not really rip-offs, I'll argue that it's more a case of "good artists copy, great artists steal."

Beyond that, I'm not going to tell you a damned thing about the movie.  This is a movie you must see cold.  Don't go reading any list of plot holes first, don't read any more reviews that may let loose a spoiler and ruin your fun, just go see the thing.  3.5 out of 4 stars.

Bonus link to a thoughtful, non-spoiler review at Liberty

Note almost a week later: I thought about that hole a bit more, and it's not a hole.  I think the writers either (a) got a little sloppy and didn't explain this one (but it would be hard to do without spoiling one surprise, so...), or (b) got it right and left one tiny little hint that wouldn't be a spoiler.  OK, now I've got to go back for another showing, if for no other reason but to look for that hint.


No comments:

Post a Comment