Sunday, April 8, 2018

Yaupon Tea, the Verdict


Following up on last week's post about yaupon tea, I can say that it's pretty good!  It doesn't have all the floral notes of most conventional teas, it has more of a southern backwoodsy smell and flavor.  If you think of it as "regular tea is to BBC as yaupon tea is to WSM" you'll have a fair idea of how this goes.  Beyond those descriptions, you'll just have to try it.


About the source of this and which roast to try, Lost Pines showed up in searches first.  It's also available on Amazon, if that's easier for you.  Perhaps some of the descriptions at those sites will further fill you in.  Lost Pines' lighter roast is probably the one to try if you must pick one, but the dark roast is interesting as well.  The light roast has more woodsy flavor, while the dark is closer to a conventional tea.


Now, will I buy more of it?  Probably not.  I'll just step out my backdoor to pick my own to roast.  More to the point, will I be drinking more of it?  Definitely.


Further reading: yaupon holly, black drink at Wikipedia 

No comments:

Post a Comment