Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Spotlighting for Spiders


Strangest thing...  Last fall, acting on a recommendation from The First 40 Miles Podcast (unfortunately now defunct, but fortunately archived here), I picked up a Fenix HL10 LED headlamp/flashlight.  It is surprisingly handy, and for a lot of household tasks as well as for backpacking.  Chores like putting away the grill after dark, digging around in the dark back of a closet, or even reading when it's house lights out due to swarming termites – they're all a lot easier with this little light.  Lots to love about it.

But the one thing that I didn't expect was to see many, many gleaming pinpoints of light in my lawn at night.  Upon closer inspection, they're spider eyes!  They seem have a really tight-beam retro-reflection that doesn't show up with a handheld flashlight, but mount a light next to your eyes, and man do these eye-shines stand out.  Unexpected, but reassuring.  I mean, they don't bother me, but they certainly put the hurt on unwanted lawn bugs and especially termites.  Good for them!  And while I wouldn't call my lawn beautiful by any stretch, it certainly is in many ways a healthy ecosystem.

Anyway, mighty handy light.  The backpacking podcast linked above can give you more details.  Available in all the usual places.

No comments:

Post a Comment