Monday, September 2, 2019

A Yaesu FT-60 Manual for Humans


Just stumbled over this today: A Beginner's Guide to the Yaesu FT-60R/E Handy-Talkie, v3.4

I've had mine for 5+ years now, and feel like I've barely scratched its capabilities.  Oh yes, I've managed to get chirp working with it (link) and with notes can manage to program a few repeaters manually (link to notes).  With time and practice, I've even gotten a little bit of a feel for the thing, but I can't say I've ever really understood the thing, let alone clicked with it.

Well, maybe this will help.  Looks promising after just a short skim.  Here's a useful tidbit that's turned up already: how to disable that wretched WIRES "feature" so that a careless bump can't switch it back on.  Gonna go do that one right now...

I don't get it.  All of ham radio seems afflicted with this too, not just Yaesu: good radios, crummy but somewhat functional UIs, unbelievably frustrating manuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment