Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Robin Hood: the review

OK, I like sushi.  I mean, I really like the stuff.  I also can dig tacos, a couple of times a week and I’m one happy coyote.  But.  When I order the taco platter, the waiter nods ‘si’, and then hauls out a damn plate full of artfully arranged dead fish, it’s a little disconcerting.
So what does this have to do with the new Ridley Scott / Russell Crowe movie?  It’s a good movie, I was completely entertained, the swordplay made for fun watching, the deeper themes about human liberty were good, and movie’s take on the proper treatment of traitors masquerading as rogue tax collectors was, uh, pretty much on target.  So what’s not to like?
Well, the name.  Says “Robin Hood” right there on the label, when in fact it should have been titled “Kingdom of Heaven 2: The Scouring of Sherwood Forest” or some such.  It was a good story, but it just wasn’t a Robin Hood story up until right before the credits rolled.
Well, I enjoyed it anyway, and maybe you will too.  But just remember to expect chop sticks with this taco plate.
Two stars, but that’s mostly a problem with title.  Renamed along the lines suggested above and it’d rate three.

No comments:

Post a Comment