Thursday, June 10, 2010

Book: Ignore Everybody

... and 39 Other Keys to Creativity


I don't know, it just sort of grabbed my eye while walking through a bookstore last week.  The recommendation from Guy Kawasaki on the back cover ("Hugh's book will kick your ass and push you out of your zone of mediocrity and stagnation.") (!) pretty much clinched the purchase.  What is it about?  It's about 40 short essays on some basic truths of holding down a living in any creative field.  Examples: "Worrying about 'Commercial vs. Artistic' is a complete waste of time," and "Companies that squelch creativity can no longer compete with companies that champion creativity," followed by a page or two of elaboration, and a couple of the author's cartoons.
Biggest problem with this book is that if you're open to the ideas it may be from a "yeah, got bit by that dog back in '97, he's right, won't do that again" viewpoint.  The people who need this the most, people who haven't been mauled by a stobor yet, may not be listening.  I know that if someone'd handed me this book when I was 20 I'd have shrugged it off.  But if I could send one back in a time machine, I'd still try to send one to myself.
Enough for now.  I've got to go be all creative and stuff and make a living.  Here's a link to the guy's web site: http://gapingvoid.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment