Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Why can't we get a radio station like this?


Radio Hauriki, New Zealand.  Yes, they have a streaming webcast, just click on the "Listen" link.

Scan over at the last half-dozen or so songs played just now:
Rollover DJ - Jet
Are You In? - Incubus
Daughter - Pearl Jam
Handwritten - The Gaslight Anthem
I Remember You - Skid Row
Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Hold On - Alabama Shakes
Look, I'm not saying this is exactly 100% my music, or that it's perfectly new and innovative, or that it's All That.  It's just that it's not yet another oldies station, it's not yet another country-pop station, it's new-ish music, and their musical programming is not selected by cabal of angry 15 year olds.  (Yeah, on that last one I'm talkin' to you 97.9 WCPR.)  And as a bonus, their web site doesn't look or load like it was designed during the Clinton administration – "Optimized for Netscape!"

Well, I can stream'em at home, but I can't take'em on the road with me.  It would be a change for the better to have a listenable station around here that I don't have to stream, wait for nightime skywave, or pull out the antenna design book to receive.

Freekin' New Zealand, they've got everything.  Hell, they've even got Hobbiton these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment