Monday, December 20, 2021

Metaverse Described for the People Who Prefer IRL


Here's a short (2:50), informative video over at the BBC describing what this is about.

Since the 1980's I've seen these things come and I've seen these things go.  However, this time I think it might stick.  The concepts have been floating around for decades, the hardware seems finally up to the task, the basics behind the software have been there for a while, but most of all there's finally a business driver behind it now.  Integration of all the parts seems to be happening very quickly.  We shall see, and likely fairly soon.

BTW, Ted Chiang's novella The Lifecycle of Software Objects, addresses some of the unexpected twists that partially existing in a shared interactive virtual world can take.  It's in his 2019 collection Exhalation, which I highly recommend.  I'll write something up about it just as soon as I finish the last third.

No comments:

Post a Comment