Sunday, January 30, 2022

WFD 2022 Wrap


Too cold to camp (21F!), too stubborn to skip, I worked Winter Field Day from home this year.  Made a couple dozen contacts spread across seven band/mode combinations, and ran everything off of a medium-large LiFePO battery.  BTW, it was the battery that really convinced me to stay home this year – those things do not like sub-freezing temperatures.  Sure, I could have managed it, but it just didn't sound like fun.

So... things learned?  The FTdx-1200 averages about 4 amps draw when operating.  The HP/Linux laptop and charger combo takes about 3 AH to top back up.  After months of using a plug-into-wall-socket power supply, it took longer than expected to get all the parts together and get running on the battery.  Patience pays, because in the last hour, repeated PSK-31 calls on 15m yielded two contacts in one four minute period – and then the 15m band promptly shut back down again.

Next up... I need to get to the woods to sort out some novel inverted-V configurations for larger zepp antennas.  That'll make for a nice camping trip in more friendly weather.  I really, really want to get slow-scan TV working on my linux laptop.  Finally, I need to finish the satcoms antenna project.  I mean the UHF antenna has been *that* close for over a year.  That's enough of a list for now.

Anyway, once again and despite being stuck indoors this year, WFD was fun and it helped shake out a few unknowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment