Saturday, February 4, 2023

Wright's Lake Re-Match

 After last weekend's Winter Field Day outing (quick first post, longer review post), I had to go back and check out the 4+ mile trail.  Here's the trailhead sign map:

As usual, click to embigggen.

The map promised variety, and variety is what this trail offers.  Swamps, piney uplands, creeks, and these strange little mini-swamp potholes.  I wonder if they're not slump sinkholes.  It would be interesting to hike this trail with a geologist, and then hike it again with a biologist.  There's a lot going on here and it's too much to take in with just one hike.  Here's one of those mini-swamps:

I'd really like to ask a geologist about these things.

As far as the hiking goes, it was fairly easy.  Not a lot of elevation change.  The blue blazes marking the trail were adequate.  There were a couple of times where they seemed to run out, but I kept on in what seemed like the logical direction and before too long another blaze showed up in the distance.  It was just enough to keep me on my toes, this first time out hiking it and going it solo.  The trail was entirely dry, except for one bridge crossing where the deck of the bridge was about 4" underwater.  Here's the pic:

See the bridge?  No, really, it's there.  Just 4" underwater.

It was hard to tell if the entire bridge was there, but I forged on anyway, trusting that it would be, and it was.  It was narrow, maybe 8 or 10 inches wide.  Well-grooved for traction though.  I had to crab sideways the entire length.  It wasn't too hard.  Next time out I'll wear my wet-hike boots.

Back at the trailhead (not pictured) I stopped for a late lunch and played radio (again not pictured, but here's the same set-up in a different spot).  Made a total of five contacts, one on SARNET and the other four on 20m.  Then... home.  I'll be back before this winter's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment