Monday, February 20, 2023

Getting to Sleep


This is something I've always struggled with, how to quiet my mind and get to sleep in a timely fashion.  Reading is good, but at some point I have to turn off the light.  Usually that's enough to wake me back up and get back to the tossing and turning.  Also, I often will drop the book, lose my place, and so forth.  It's messy.

Last week over at View from the Porch / aka booksbikesboomsticks, Tam posted a link to the NYT Mag about how a remarkably high percentage of people use the BBC's Shipping Forecast get to sleep in Britain.  I suppose it works if you're within radio range.  On this side of the pond however, Coast to Coast AM is my go-to sleep remedy.  Nothing like a good ghost story to sooth the senses.  It helps to have a radio with a one hour shut-off timer, because you don't want to have the show's second segment segue into a discussion of, say, exorcism while you brain is forming its own dreamlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment