Friday, April 28, 2023

Continental Bike Tires: Never Again


I have struggled and fought to install first a set of mountain bike tires last fall, and now today a pair of road bike tires.  In short, they all had the same manufacturing defect, namely a too-tight kevlar bead.  Yes, I know how to install bike tires.  In fact, in my little road ride group I was notably the fastest at this – a handy thing during deer fly season.  Yes, I know that new kevlar bead tires are always a little tight, and that they stretch out to something easier to change by the first flat.  Been there, done that on the side of the road many times.  Yes, I know there is such a thing as manufacturing variation, and we all have to live with that.  No however, all four of these were all way outside of spec.  I might have been able to get them on at home, but they were so tight that I wouldn't bet on being able to change them on the side of a hot highway or while being bug-attacked on a trail.  Safety issue either way.  Screw it.  Live and learn.

What to get then?  Kevin up at the bike repair shop (sorry, doesn't sell tires) recommends Schwalbes, and I have a real fondness for Vredesteins for the road.  On the gravel bike, Ritchey SpeedMaxs rule.  No real problem getting a set of Specialized's onto the old mtb either.  WTBs always are a good choice.  Really though, I've never seen a bike tire I didn't like – except for Continentals.

No comments:

Post a Comment