Monday, April 8, 2024

And That Was the Eclipse That Was


I was driving through Port St. Joe at the peak of coverage here in NW FL and was down to a half-tank, so I used that as an excuse to pull over and observe.  Lacing fingers together to make a crude pinhole gave a decent image on a smooth patch of the gas station's pavement.  At least, it was enough to see a chunk taken out of the image of the Sun, maybe 70%.  Though nowhere near the totality path, I'd still have felt bad if I hadn't at least made that little effort.

Coming out of the gas station (bathroom & caffeine stop), there was a dood hanging out in the gloom outside.  We spoke, he said he'd looked straight at it anyway.  I showed him the improvised pinhole trick and projected a pretty clear image on the sidewalk, still showing a hefty chunk out of the image.  He looked at me uncomprehendingly.  All I could think to say was "Hey, science.  Don't worry too much about it."  Then I popped open my can o' caffeine, got in my car, and headed for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment