Wednesday, July 26, 2023

FT-60 & ft-70


Following up on the last few days' posts, it is obvious that I've been wringing out how to program an FT-70.  But why, when I've got a perfectly good FT-60?  The biggest reason is the batteries.  The newer lithium ion batts for the '70 don't have the memory issues of the older NiMH in the '60.  After that the advantages are Fusion digital voice mode and slightly less weight – 18% less, not a lot but definitely noticeable on the pack.  The FT-60 wins out however in programming ease, ubiquity of accessories, and sheer damn mechanical ruggedness.  In short it's the Ford F-150 of hand-held radios.  But the FT-70's sufficiently tough, and it does have an IP54 dust & splash rating which the '60 entirely lacks.

This leaves me with the dilemma of whether to keep the old radio or not.  Weighing for keeping are all of the reasons given above, plus it's here in hand right now.  Weighing against keeping the '60 is maintaining two sets batteries, two cradle chargers, two of this that and the other, and most importantly, two sets of programming procedures in my head.  Also, with the 70's lithium battery's "recharge it any ol' time" characteristics, I know which I'll be taking to the field more often.

Meh, there's no hurry.  I'll hang onto the FT-60 for a while, at least until a good home with a new ham appears.


No comments:

Post a Comment