Tuesday, August 4, 2026

A Little Something I Heard Last Sunday Morning


The Sound of Soft Power, from the BBC (just under 1 hour), about the use of shortwave broadcasting for soft power projection beginning in WWII up through the current day.  Naturally it wasn't archived on any their sites – or at least none that I could easily find – but fortunately we have the above link from The Shortwave Archive.  Additionally, here are two brief articles on the show from The SWLing Post, from May and July.

Somewhat ironically, I didn't hear the show on shortwave.  Rather, it was on an extremely local WFSU FM translator station W244BM-FM, a mere 7 miles away in Eastpoint. (coverage map inset right)  Not nearly as impressive as global shortwave, but when it's all that's currently available you take what's there.

Anyway, give it a listen.  It gives an interesting historical perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment