Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Water Filter Recommendations


Yesterday's post at Section Hiker listed the Top Ten results of their "what water filter do you use" survey.  No real surprises, and a lot of experience talking there.

The Katadyn Hiker I use made the list, down at #6.  What I didn't mention about it in my initial buying impressions post last year is that the filter element can be taken out and the entire thing cleaned and dried between uses.  That's the killer feature that'll keep me using this type of filter.  I do sporadic weekend trips, so drying for storage is a big deal.  Were I doing a through-hike where things would just stay wet, it wouldn't matter so much.  Something to consider.

FWIW, when going solo I carry a Sawyer Mini (#2 on the list, $20) as a backup, and chlorine dioxide tabs as well.  I tend to err on the safe side when it comes to water.  Comes from listening to my Father's tales of his backpacking trip across North Africa in 1942.

No comments:

Post a Comment