Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Thursday Crash at Santos


This is installment #2 in the Santos Fat Tire Fest series I'll be trickling out over the next week or so.

I don't know what happened, it was either a root or rock or something, but I smacked a pedal and went down hard into a bunch of cantaloupe-sized rocks.  In the first mile of what was supposed to be a four-day MTB-fest weekend.  I've had a lot of crashes that I could ride away from, and a few crashes that were bad enough that I couldn't ride away at all (most notoriously), but this was the closest-to but just-under that line that I've managed.  Head, shoulder, and elbow hits, a dessert-plate sized strawberry to the side, and worst of all, a knee-burger that just bled and bled.  I really wasn't sure until the next day that I'd make Saturday's 50 mile epic ride.

I have to say though, technology came through to make more riding possible.  A pair of shin-and-knee guards (this model) (see pic at right; you don't want to see what's underneath) from one of the bike stores at the Festival trailhead covered up the damage to prevent re-injury, and kept me rolling.  I've never been one for trail armor beyond a helmet and gloves, but I'm kind of sold on the concept, at least for the more challenging trails.  Now I'm actually looking forward to riding Tom Brown Park in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment